Sunday, January 30, 2011

Featured Artist: Roxanne Tataei

-Roxanne Tataei-

"It just happened naturally; I never sat down and thought, I want to make a soul record," explains Roxanne Tataei. Her 1960s pop-tinged debut album Memoirs, certainly has the retro-soul aesthetic that turned fellow Brits Duffy and Adele into household names--in classic Motown fashion, Tataei even discovered her voice singing in church as a child. But while such thumping tracks as "I Don't Believe" have the feistiness of a hit from Amy Winehouse, other songs demonstrate a nuanced, almost Nina Simone-like depth. It turns out Tataei has always been drawn to confessional songwriting. "When I was fourteen, I went to an Alanis Morissette concert," she says. "I thought to myself, I want to be the black version of this woman." -Freddie Campion


Cheers,
Ash

No comments:

Post a Comment